banner search whats new site index home

Colts Neck Township


Colts Neck Township administrative offices are located at 124 Cedar Drive, Colts Neck, NJ 07722; phone: 732-462-5470.

Atlantic Township, the former name of Colts Neck, was formed in 1847 from parts of what were then Freehold, Shrewsbury and Middletown Townships. It had a population of Dutch families in the 18th century. Many of the residents were of Dutch descent and included some of the largest slave-holding families in Monmouth County such as the Van Maters. Other Dutch neighbors included names such as Vanderveer, Conover, Sutphin, Van Kirk, Polhemus and Schank. The village of Colts Neck, which originated in the 18th century, had enough of a Dutch population to start a Dutch Reformed Church in 1856. [1]

  1. Ulana D. Zakalak, Historic Preservation Consultant, Zakalak Associates, Probasco-Dittmar Farmstead, Monmouth County, New Jersey, nomination document, 2005, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 10694 • Privacy