Allentown Borough Hall is located at 8 North Main Street, Allentown NJ 08501; phone: 609‑259‑3151.
Allentown, situated in the northwest corner of the township, on Doctor's creek, is the principal village of Upper Freehold. The village is named for Nathan Allen, who purchased land from his father-in-law. In the year of his settlement he built a grist mill, and on his death in 1732 his son Nathan inherited the mill and plantation, while his brother Richard received his portion of his father's estate, a fulling mill and two acres and a half of land.
Around Nathan Allen's grist mill there soon clustered a store, tavern, blacksmith shop, and other kinds of businesses. An Episcopal church was erected about 1730, and a Presbyterian brick church was built in 1756.
Allentown in 1833 contained from seventy-five to eighty dwellings, one Presbyterian church, an academy, two private schools; the Allentown Academy was successor to a school taught under the care of the Presbyterian church.
Allentown with a population of about seven hundred souls, was incorporated as a borough and name filed July 3, 1897.
The founder of Allentown was a staunch Quaker, therefore there was in its vicinity a scattering of the Society of Friends. The Scotch were also amongst its inhabitants who were followers of John Knox, also a Hollandish element was early introduced. The Dutch and the Scotch however being followers of the same Calvanistic faith, they naturally were drawn together and from them is traced the establishment of the Presbyterian church at Allentown.