Old Bridge Township
Old Bridge Township offices are located at 1 Old Bridge Plaza, Old Bridge, NJ 08857; phone: 732-721-5600.
Located along Raritan Bay, the township was known as Madison Township for more than a century. Madison Township was formed from South Amboy Township in 1869. The name was changed to Old Bridge in 1975. Early settlers included John and Susannah Brown whose names are commemorated in the historic Browntown section of the township. Up to and through the 1950s the township was comprised primarily of farms. From the 1960s onward, the building of residential housing subdivisions resulted in the town's present suburban character.
Mills began to appear by the mid 19th century, including three along the waterfront at, approximately, Raritan Bay Beach, Seidler's Beach and Morgan Beach. They produced gun powder and paper products. [Old Bridge Township, History, www.oldbridge.com, accessed August, 2012.]