The Edison Township Municipal Building is located at 100 Municipal Boulevard, Edison, NJ 08817; phone: 732-287-0900.
Incorporated originally as "Raritan Township" in March 1870, Edison was formed from parts of Woodbridge and Piscataway Townships. At the time of incorporation, both the Boroughs of Highland Park and Metuchen were within its boundaries. By 1900, Metuchen had incorporated as a separate Borough, and Highland Park followed suit five years later. In 1954, following an initiative by community residents, the name was changed from "Raritan Township" to "Edison Township." This was done to distinguish Edison from other "Raritan Townships" in New Jersey, and to commemorate one of Edison's most famous residents.