Flemington Borough Hall is located at 38 Park Avenue, Flemington NJ 08822; phone: 908-782-8840.
The Borough was incorporated in March of 1870.
John Philip Kase is generally credited with being the town's first settler, although the community takes its name from Samuel Fleming. Fleming Castle, 2 Bonnell Street, a little white plaster house two stories high, was built as a residence and Inn by Fleming in 1756. The house was renovated in the first half of the 20th century and presented to the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The old Kase cemetery lies a short distance from the Fleming house, many gravestones bearing the name Kase and dating from 1774 to 1856. A marker bearing the inscription "In memory of the Delaware Indian Chief Tuccamirgan, 1750" was erected in 1725 in belated appreciation of the Indian's aid to the first settler. Tuccamirgan himself expressed the desire to be buried near his white friend.
The area surrounding Flemington was once dedicated to prosperous farming, and the "Flemington Egg Poultry and Livestock Auction" was once the largest in the world. It was founded in 1930 as a cooperative to prevent the sharp dealing of commission men and wholesalers, and to provide fair prices for poultry and livestock farmers.
In 1937 the official headquarters of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey moved from Linden to Flemington. This headquarters of one of the then wealthiest companies in the world, consisted of a sign upon a lawyer's office at 117 Main Street, and a safe containing corporate records.