Califon Borough Hall is located at 39 Academy Street, Califon NJ 07830; phone: 908-832-7400.
One story suggests that Califon is so named because the original name, California, didn't quite fit a sign being made. The borough was incorporated in 1918 from portions of Lebanon and Tewksbury Townships. The borough was once a station stop on the High Bridge Branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey.
The Califon Historic District, centered around Main and Academy Streets, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.