City of Hoboken municipal offices are located at 94 Washington Street, Hoboken NJ 07030; phone: 201-420-2013.
The land that is now the City of Hoboken was first settled as part of the Colony of New Netherland in the 17th century. Colonel John Stevens (prominent New Jersey politician and delegate to the Continental Congress) developed the city in the early 19th century. Originally, Hoboken was a resort, and, later, became a residential suburb of New York City. Hoboken was incorporated as a township in 1849 and subsequently as a city in 1855. It lies on the west bank of the Hudson River, directly across from Manhattan.
Hoboken (considered in the late 19th century as the twin sister of Jersey City and originally spelled 'Hobocan') was settled in 1643, its first house having been built in that year by Teunissen Van Putten. The village attracted little attention until the first quarter of the present century, when it became a noted resort for New Yorkers, who were wont after business hours to cross the Hudson with their families and enjoy a pleasant afternoon's outing under the delightful shade. Its "Elysian Fields" and its beautiful Weehawken were also for many years veritable Meccas where old politicians — especially Federalists — sought each other's companionship, and talked over the signs of the times as they gazed sadly at the spot where their idol, Alexander Hamilton, had so recently fallen. This locality, known for many years as the "Weehawken dueling-ground," lies a little north of the site of the Elysian Fields, directly opposite the foot of West Thirty-first Street, New York. Here, in 1801, Philip Hamilton was mortally wounded in a duel by George J. Eacker; and on precisely the same ground, three years later, his father, the illustrious Alexander Hamilton, fell before the pistol of Aaron Burr.