Washington Township municipal offices are located at 523 Egg Harbor Road, Sewell NJ 08080; phone: 856-589-0520.
Washington Township was incorporated in 1836; prior to the white settlers locating here, the area was home to a significant Lenni-Lenape Indian Village called Tetamekon. The Heritage Family (Heritage Dairy Farm Stores) first settled around 1725. From 1844 to 1871 Washington Township was part of Camden County.
The Washington Township School District serves the area's public school students through 11 schools: one pre-school/kindergarten center, 6 elementary schools (grades 1-5), 3 middle schools (grades 6-8) and 1 high school (grades 9-12).
As can be noted from the number and variety of neighborhoods and subdivisions, this once-rural farming community has been one of the fastest-growing suburban residential communities across the entire State of New Jersey.