Township of South Orange Village
South Orange Village Hall is located at 101 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079; 973-378-7715.
The area that would become South Orange was first settled about 1678 by families from Connecticut.
South Orange was part of Newark until 1806, when what is now the Oranges and Maplewood were set off as "Orange Township." The name Orange came into use in the second half of the 18th century, and was officially adopted by a meeting of the inhabitants in 1780. The name South Orange first appeared in print in a newspaper ad in 1793 in "Wood's Gazette." It replaced such old names as Chestnut Hill and the Mountain Plantation. [The Township of South Orange Village, South Orange Village History, www.southorange.org, accessed November, 2013]