Lower Township municipal offices are located at 2600 Bayshore Road, Villas, NJ 08251; phone: 609-886-2005.
Lower Township was incorporated in 1798. It is the most southern township in the State of New Jersey. In 1846 the township was mostly engaged in agricultural or maritime pursuits. At that time there were 6 stores, 3 saw mills and 6 schools with 240 students. The population was 1,133.
Among the early settlers of the township who came here about 1691, principally from Long Island, were Christopher Leaming and his son Thomas, Cesar Hoskins, Samuel Matthers, Jonathan Osborne, Nathaniel Short, Thomas Hand and his sons John and George, John and Caleb Carman, John Shaw, Thomas Miller, William Stillwell, Humphrey Hewes, William Mason and John Richardson.