Bordentown municipal offices are located at 324 Farnsworth Avenue, Bordentown PA 08505; phone: 609-298-0604.
The Bordentown National Register Historic District covers a considerable portion of the city.
Located between Philadelphia and New York, on a bend in the Delaware River, just below a series of rapids which make the river unnavigable to large ships and barges, Bordentown was ideally situated for the conduct of trade before the age of the automobile. Goods from Philadelphia destined for New York and further north were brought up river from Bordentown. There they were unloaded from the barges and ships and placed on wagons for the overland trip to New York. Similarly, goods from New York were brought overland to Bordentown where they were loaded on barges for the trip downstream to Philadelphia.
Bordentown, founded by Thomas Farnsworth in 1682, quickly became a thriving trading post for the new colony of Quakers. During the 18th century the town's role as a commercial port continued to expand. In the early 1700's Joseph Borden added a coach line that operated between New York and Philadelphia. Bordentown was an important way stop on the arduous seven-to-eight day journey.