banner search whats new site index home

Ridgefield Park Village


Ridgefield Park Village Hall is located at 234 Main Street, Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660; phone: 201-641-4950.

Beginnings [1]

On June 17, 1685, Hendrick Brinkerhoff bought land on the Hackensack River from Epke Bante. The land purchased by Brinkerhoff extended from the Hackensack River on the west to the Overpeck Creek on the east. The exact northern and southern boundaries are unknown, but judging from later settlement and land sales, we think the Brinkerhoff land extended from today's Hobart Street up to an area near Preston Street. By this purchase 300 years ago, Brinkerhoff became the first non-Indian to live in Ridgefield Park and the settlement of the Village began.

When Brinkerhoff settled here, Bergen County was just three years old and encompassed all the land between the Hackensack and Hudson Rivers The first road in the area was the Queen Anne Road, probably built before Brinkerhoff died in 1710.

Ridgefield Park as described in 1939 [2]

Ridgefield Park is a commuters' borough. Frame houses pack Winant Avenue, through which the highway runs. Like nearby communities the borough is keyed to real estate development: whitewashed blackboard signs advertise visitors to "Snap Up this Buy at $60 a month."

  1. Board of Commissioners, Ridgefield Park, Ridgefield Park: 1685-1985, 1985, www.ridgefieldpark.org, accessed April, 2013.
  2. Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of New Jersey, New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, American Guide Series, The Viking Press, 1939, New York
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 10437 • Privacy