banner search whats new site index home

Closter Borough


Closter Borough Hall is located at 295 Old Closter Dock Road, Closter, NJ 07624; phone: 201-784-0600.

John Nagle House, ca. 1740, 75 Harvard Street, Closter, NJ, National Register

Photo: John Nagle House, ca. 1740, 75 Harvard Street, Closter, NJ. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by user:Bill Coughlin (own work), 2010, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed May, 2014.

Settled in the early 1700s, Closter Borough was incorporated in 1904 from part of Harrington Township.

Closter as described in 1939 [1]

Closter is a village of frame buildings with new facings of brick or composition shingle. The town was the scene of a spontaneous strike in 1936 during the course of which a sympathizer was shot and eventually died. The killing provided a vigorous controversy over civil liberties, accentuated when the police forbade a memorial mass meeting, which, however, was finally held after an injunction had been obtained. The shop foreman was found guilty of the killing and was sentenced to serve from 6 to 10 years in the State Penitentiary. The strikers were persuaded to return to work.

  1. Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of New Jersey, New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, American Guide Series, The Viking Press, 1939, New York
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 10394 • Privacy