Bergenfield Borough Hall is located at 198 Washington Avenue North, Bergenfield NJ 07621; phone: 201-387-4055.
The Borough of Bergenfield was organized in 1894 from Palisades Township. The first mayor was W. P. Tyson, succeeded by Mr. Walter Christie.
Bergenfield is located on former line of the West Shore Railroad about 13 miles from New York City. In 1900 the only store in the village was owned by John Z. Demarest.
The naming of the borough, according to the website (www.bergenfieldborough.com, accessed December 2009) occurred as follows: "In 1873, the New Jersey and New York Railroad decided to build a station in the southern half of Schraalenburgh. They asked the residents to name the station, but no name could be agreed upon so the railroad officials imprinted "Bergen Fields" on the tickets. When the borough was incorporated, its leaders modified it to the more urban 'Bergenfield'".