Linwood City Hall is located at 400 Poplar Avenue, Linwood, NJ 08221; phone: 609-927-4108.
Originally known as Leedsville, the settlement was named for a crossroads store (at the intersection of Monroe Avenue and Shore Road) by the Leeds family. The name of the post office was changed to Linwood in 1888 to avoid confusion with another New Jersey settlement of the same name. It is one of a group of towns that grew up along the Shore Road, an early route between the Great Egg Harbor and Mullica Rivers in southern New Jersey.
Formerly part of Egg Harbor township, Linwood was incorporated as a borough in 1889. Until 1940, the 4 square miles of Linwood contained many substantial, productive farms.