Newton Town Hall is located at 2 Town Hall Road, Newton, NH 03858; phone: 603-382-4096.
Newton was settled about 1700; it was then called Amesbury Newtown. The name was changed to Newton in 1846. The State of Massachusetts was bounded 3 miles from the Merrimack River; on the final settlement of the line, this part of the territory was left off from Massachusetts. The town was incorporated in 1749.
Mr. William Rowell was a very prominent man in his day. He was first selectman in 1749, and held most of the offices of the town, sometimes serving as clerk, at others as selectman.
John Peaslee had 9 children, the first born in 1734, and his descendants were among the most prominent in the town.