Hampton Town Hall is located at 100 Winnacunnet Road, Hampton, NH 03842; phone: 603-926-6766.
On the 10th day of August, 1622, a grant was made, by the Council of Plymouth, to Sir Ferdinando Gorges, and Captain John Mason, jointly, of all the land lying between the Merrimack and Sagadehock (Androscoggin), extending back to the great lakes and the river of Canada. This tract was called Laconia, and it was the first grant in which the territory of Hampton was included.
In 1636, the General Court of Massachusetts authorized Mr. Dummer and Mr. Spencer to erect a house at Hampton, which was then called by its Indian name, Winnicumet. A house was built by Nicholas Easton, paid for by the Colony of Massachusetts, called the Bound House, intended as a mark of possession.
In 1638 a petition was presented to the General Court of Massachusetts, by a number of people, chiefly from Norfolk, England, for permission to settle at Winnicumet. It was granted in October with few privileges other than that of forming a settlement. It wasn't until June 7, 1639 until this "plantation" was allowed to be a town with privileges.
On the 4th day of September, 1639, at the request of Reverend Stephen Bachelor, the name of the town was changed from Winnicumet to Hampton, and about the same time, through the influence of their deputy, the right of disposing of the land and laying it out was vested in the town.
There were 56 original settlers. Many of those names are unknown. The first town meeting of which there was a remaining record was held October 31, 1639. William Wakefield was chosen town clerk. On December 24, 1639, land grants were made in the amount of 2,160 acres to 13 persons, in parcels, varying from 80 to 300 acres