Derry Town Hall is located at 14 Manning Street, Derry, NH 03038; phone: 603-432-6100.
First settled about 1719, Derry was incorporated in 1827. It was named for the "Isle of Derry" Doire in Ireland which means "oak woods" in Gaelic.
Prior to its incorporation it was part of Old Londonderry (now Londonderry), therefore the earliest history is connected with that town. When divided, the Derry portion had about 3/5ths of the population which was about 2,200 inhabitants.
In 1915 the principal industry of the town was the manufacture of shores, with 5 large shops employing about 1,800 of the more than 5,000 residents. In that year the Derry Street Railway, one of the smallest in the country, operated between Derry Village, East Derry, Beaver Lake, and terminating in Chester.
Established about 1814, the Pinkerton Academy survives today as a private high school [grades 9-12]. With approximately 3,400 students it is the largest independent high school in the country.