New Ipswich Town
New Ipswich Town Hall is located at 661 Turnpike Road, New Ipswich, NH 03071;phone: 603-878-2772.
The Town of New Ipswich was first granted in 1735 and was named by settlers from Ipswich, Massachusetts. New Hampshire's provincial government incorporated the town as Ipswich in 1762, and as New Ipswich in 1766. New Ipswich Academy was chartered here in 1789. It was renamed Appleton Academy for Samuel Appleton, who donated a library and other things to the school. The school operated until 1968. The first cotton mill in New Hampshire was built here in 1804. The town's first census took place in 1790 and counted 1,241 residents.