banner search whats new site index home

Lincoln Town

Lincoln Town Hall is located at 148 Main Street, Lincoln, NH 93251; phone: 603-745-2757.

Clark's Bridge spanning the Pemigewasset River
Photo: Clark's Bridge spanning the Pemigewasset River, Historic American Engineering Record [HAER NH-39], Jet Lowe, photographer, 2993, memory.loc.gov, accessed June, 2011.

Beginnings [1,2]

The settlement of Lincoln was not begun until after the close of the American Revolution. As late as 1791 it had only 22 inhabitants. In 1808 Stephen Russell built a house which he operated as a hotel. The mountainous terrain means little farming is done in the town and the principal occupation of residents in the 1880s revolved around tourism.

Simon Tuttle came to Lincoln from Acton, Massachusetts, about 1824, and commenced operating a tavern, known from the beginning as Tuttle's Hotel. In the early days Tuttles were said to turn out the cow into the storm in order to provide shelter for a visitor's horse.

Beginnings [2]

Built about 1904 by the Barre Branch Railroad, Clark's Bridge is one of only two railroad Howe Truss covered bridges in Grafton County. The bridge was an important link in the Barre Branch Railroad. The granite quarries attracted railroads to the Barre, VT vicinity. Railroads made it possible to transport larger blocks and higher volumes nationally

Today (2011) Clarks Bridge is traversed by the White Mountain Central Railroad, a 2-1/2 mile tourist train route.

  1. Hamilton Child, Gazetteer of Grafton County, N.H., 1709-1886, Part First, The Syracuse Journal Company, Syracuse, NY, 1886.
  2. Dr. Mark Brown, Historic American Engineering Record, HAER NH-39, memory.loc.gov, accessed June, 2011.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 2533