Bridgewater Town Hall is located at 297 Mayhew Turnpike, Bridgewater, NH 03222; phone: 603-744-5055.
Bridgewater was originally part of Hill Township, then called New Chester. It was incorporated as a separate town in 1788. The Town of Bristol was taken off in 1819.
In 1880 Bridgewater had a population of 384. In 1885 it had 8 school districts and 9 common schools with 89 students attending.
The first settlement was made by Thomas Crawford, who came in 1766. Tradition has it that it was he who gave the name Bridgewater to the locality, for the reason that civilization could not be reached without crossing a bridge. Crawford was soon afterward joined by his brother Jonathan, and several other families from the southern part of the state and from Reading, Massachusetts. By 1790 the town had 281 inhabitants.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Samuel Drew, March 11, 1788, with Daniel Heath as moderator; Thomas Crawford was chosen clerk, Daniel Heath as constable. The selectmen chosen were Thomas Crawford, Simeon Cross and Michael Mosier.