Troy Town Hall is located at 16 Central Square, Troy, NH 03465; phone: 603-242-7722.
The first settlement to be made on land now within the limits of Troy, was made by William Barker, supposed to have been a native of Westborough, Massachusetts. He was one of the original proprietors of Marlborough, and had drawn several lots in the division, and perhaps because of this financial interest he was led to explore this region, which he did in 1761, and selected a location on West Hill with a view of making it his future residence. He made but a short stop and the next year returned bringing with him tools to make a clearing for his house, and provisions for a limited time, and it is supposed he felled the first trees and built the first camp in this then wild land.
When his provisions were exhausted, he retraced his steps homeward having made the beginning for a permanent settlement. He returned in the spring of 1764, enlarged his clearing, constructed a log house, and prepared the way for moving his family. He settled here with is wife and children in September of 1764.
For years they were alone. In 1770 a road was built past his residence and he opened a public house which he operated for about 8 or 10 years.
A settlement had been made in the eastern part of the township in 1765 by Silas Fife who came from Bolton, MA. He purchased a lot on East Hill and constructed a rude hut, or perhaps a cave, as a temporary shelter. For several summers he toiled alone, clearing his ground and bringing it to a state of cultivation; in the meantime he built a house and then, thinking like many others that he had experienced his share of bachelor life, married Abigail Houghton from his hometown, and brought her to his wilderness home.
By 1768 a number of families had settled in Troy, among them those of: Thomas Tolman, Phineas Farrar, Richard Roberts, James Brewer, John Farrar, Caleb Winch, Jonathan Shaw, Jonah Harrington, David Wheeler, Joseph Tiffany and Ezekiel Mixer.