Effingham Town Hall is located at 68 School Street, Effingham, NH 03882; phone: 603-539-7551.
Originally settled by members of the Leavitt family, led by Captain John Leavitt, the area was known as Leavittstown. A land grant in 1749 resulted in the area being renamed Effingham for the Howard family who were Earls of Effingham and related by marriage to the family of Governor Benning Wentworth. The town was home to New Hampshire's first normal school established in 1830. [History, Town of Effingham, www.effingham.net, accessed May, 2011.
Effingham was incorporated 8/18/1778.