Neligh City Hall is located at 202 Main Street, Neligh, NE 68756; phone: 402-887-4066.
Spearheading the settlement of Nebraska in the late 19th century was the establishment of hundreds of flouring mills throughout the state. These mills played an important role in Nebraska's agricultural and commercial development. The case of the Neligh Mill is typical — its construction along the Elkhorn River encouraged farmers to settle nearby and merchants to move to the new town of Neligh, platted during the same year in which the mill's construction began, 1873. The present town of Neligh grew up around the Neligh Mill. The structure was built of bricks made locally by John H. Crawford and was the first brick building erected in Antelope County. It was constructed for owner John D. Neligh, founder of the town and an important figure in the economic development of other localities in northeastern Nebraska. J. D. Neligh suffered financial losses in the Panic of 1873 and was forced to sell the mill. It is claimed that the Gold Medal brand of flour originated at this mill in the early 1900s. The mill ceased operation in the 1950s. Today it is a State historic site.