Liberty Town Hall is located at 239 South Fayetteville Street, Liberty, NC 27298; phone: 336-622-4276.
Although incorporated in 1889, Liberty owes its initial existence to the commercial and residential development that evolved by 1809 at a crossroads. The first mention of Liberty is in 1809 when a reference to the "new town of Liberty" was inscribed in a Randolph County deed book. The community was laid out at the convergence of two overland trade routes. One of which ran from Cheraw, South Carolina, to Danville, Virginia, and the other connected the North Carolina communities of Greensboro and Fayetteville. As part of the town plan, a public square was established at the junction of these roads, which are presently called Fayetteville Street and Raleigh Avenue. Liberty continued to exist as an unincorporated community of farmers and struggled through the Civil War along with the rest of the South.
At the war's end, though, the families remaining in Liberty endeavored to create a more promising future for their town by lobbying for an extension of the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway's line, which by 1860 terminated at Egypt (now Cumnock). Records show a representative from Liberty being present at a route-planning meeting held in Pleasant Hill.
Local tradition has it that this attendee was J.W. Brower, who at that time was Liberty's major landholder. And, indeed, it was primarily through a section of land owned by Mr. Brower that tracks were eventually laid for what became the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad Company.