Carrboro Town Hall is located at 301 West Main Street, Carrboro, NC 27510; phone: 919-942-8541.
Carrboro, settled around 1882 and originally known as West End, grew up as a result of the coming of the State University Railroad (Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Railroad). Thomas Lloyd built the Alberta Cotton Mill in 1898, adjacent to the railroad depot. In 1909, Julian Shakespeare Carr bought the mill, incorporating it into his network known as the Durham Hosiery Mills.
Incorporated in 1911, the Town was named Venable to honor University of North Carolina president, Francis Preston Venable. Julian Carr began providing streets and electric power to the community while expanding his mill operations, and about 1913 the town was renamed Carrboro in his honor.