Pineville Town Hall is located at 200 Dover Street, Pineville, NC 28134; phone: 704-889-2291.
The history of the Town of Pineville begins with the year 1852. In that year the railroad was completed to that point and a depot and store were established. The town was incorporated in 1873 with four commissioners: A. C. Williams, John W. Morrow, W. L. Wallis and Samuel Younts. According to the provisions of the charter, the mayor was to be elected annually by the commissioners.
In 1900, the population of Pineville was 585. There were then 10 stores in town. In 1890, the Dover Yarn Mill was established, the stockholders being mostly people from Charlotte. A weaving department was added to it in 1902 and the 2 factories combined employed 150 to 200 hands operating 9,400 spindles and 400 looms.
A high school was erected in 1898. In 1904 there were three churches, Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist.
Among the early prominent families of Pineville were the Alexanders, Fishers, Spencers, Morrows, Younts, Andrews, Reids, Mansons, Dominys, Stoughs, Millers and Smiths.
Pineville is the location of the house in which President James Knox Polk was born.