Davidson municipal offices are located at 216 South Main Street, Davidson NC 28036; phone: 704-892-7591.
Originally incorporated as the Town of Davidson College in 1879, the name was changed to Davidson in 1891. When the college was established in 1837, there was no town, but as the village grew, there arose a demand that it should be distinguished from the college; hence the name was changed. The officials at the time were: Mayor, R. W. Shelton; Commisioners, S. R. Neal, W. S. Graves, J. P. Monroe, J. L. Bratton, and J. W. Summers.
The population in 1890 was 484 and in 1800, 901. The Linden Manufacturing Company began operations in 1891. A cotton mill was built in 1900 and sold to the Southern Cotton Oil Company in 1901. The Davidson Milling Company manufactured flour. In 1903, 1,000 bushels of peach seed, which were sold for $1 per bushel, were shipped from Davidson to northern markets.
Until 1886 there was no church in the village, the college chapel being used for public worship.