Warsaw Town Hall is located at 121 South Front Street, Warsaw, NC 28398; phone: 910-293-7814.
First settled around 1825, Warsaw grew up at the crossing of two early land routes: one, from the port of New Bern on the Neuse River, west to the upper Cape Fear River at Fayetteville; the other, south from Goldsboro near the falls of the Neuse along the Northeast Cape Fear River basin to the port of Wilmington. The Wilmington and Raleigh Railroad was completed to Warsaw in 1838.
A plank road was constructed from Fayetteville to Warsaw in 1850.
Warsaw's antebellum economy was built on naval stores: tar, pitch, turpentine and lumber. Situated at the 59 mile-marker of the rail line from Wilmington, the settlement was also an important fueling stop for the trains.
First named Mooresville after Henry Moore (who divided the town into one-mile square of building lots), the town became known as Duplin Depot in 1847. Shortly thereafter, Thaddeus Love, the railroad conductor aboard the inaugural train through the settlement, dubbed it Warsaw after a popular novel of the time, Thaddeus of Warsaw. The town was incorporated in 1855.