Davidson County North Carolina
Davidson County Administrative Offices are located at 913 Greensboro Street, Lexington NC 27292; phone: 336-242-2000.
Named for Revolutionary War General, William Lee Davidson, the county was formed in 1822 from Rowan County. A small settlement had been established by 1775 at the site of present-day Lexington.
Public Schools are administered by the Davidson County School District, while the cities of Lexington and Thomasville each operate independent school districts.
Courthouse Square, which dates from 1824 when the land was purchased and laid out for the county seat of the newly formed Davidson County. The square is unusual in that it is arranged in four quadrants around the intersection of the city's two main streets known since at least 1885 as Main Street and Center Street. The 1856-58 former Davidson County Courthouse takes up the southwest quadrant, while the other three are composed of grassy lawns with sidewalks, trees, hedges, and various commemorative markers. The first courthouse (ca. 1825) was located in the center of the square, with Davis and Steele' Streets (now Main Street) and Stanly and Cameron Streets (now Center Street) leading to it. After the 1856-58 courthouse was built, the original courthouse was torn down. In 1905 the Confederate Monument was installed at that location, but it was eventually moved (after 1929) to the southeast quadrant of the square to better accommodate vehicular traffic.