Mount Pleasant Town
Mount Pleasant Town Hall is located at 8590 Park Drive, Mount Pleasant, N.C. 28124; phone: 704-436-9803.
Mount Pleasant developed from a small, sleepy college village in 1850, emerging as a rural textile community during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It reflects the decelerated growth that was typical of many southern villages that suffered economically after the Civil War. Although nearby Concord and Kannapolis recovered from the devastating financial effects of the war, Mount Pleasant's expansion was extremely gradual in comparison to those two cities. Unlike its neighbors, Mount Pleasant did not have a railroad connection.
The town and its vicinity had 3 general stores by 1868, indicative of the growth of retail outlets throughout the county. There were also 3 grist mills to grind the local crops of corn, oats, and wheat into flour. In 1869, there were 8 mills and 3 doctors to serve the growing population. In 1872 there were 4 general stores with Mount Pleasant addresses. In 1890, Mount Pleasant's population was 550.