banner search whats new site index home

Newland Town

Newland Town Hall is located at 301 Cranberry Street, Newland, NC 28657; phone: 828-733-2023.

When Avery County was created in 1911, there was a settlement called Old Fields of Toe, which existed on a grant of land that had been owned by Colonel Waightstill Avery since 1783. The county was named for the colonel; the county seat had its name changed to Newland to honor William Calhoun Newland who, at the time, was serving as Lieutenant Governor of North Carolina.

  1. Avery County Historical Museum, History of Avery County,, accessed June, 2012.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 24810