Lansing Town Hall is located at 173 B Street, Lansing, NC 28643; phone: 336-384-3938.
Like numerous villages throughout Ashe County, Lansing began as a small trading center for the local agrarian population. It is not known where the name Lansing originated, but the name was used in the establishment of a post office on August 24, 1882. William Harrison Perkins was the community's first postmaster. A prominent local citizen, Harrison Perkins owned a large farm and operated a store on his property north of present-day Lansing. Perkins was postmaster for nearly twenty years and also served as County Commissioner. He is thought to have owned much of the land that is now Lansing.
The town of Lansing is in the north part of the Ashe County about nine miles northwest of the county seat of Jefferson, which was chartered in 1803. Lansing lies in a narrow valley at the point where Old Field Branch flows from the northeast behind the 9400 Block of NC Highway 194 into Big Horse Creek, which flows southeast parallel to South Big Horse Creek Road and NC Highway 194 on the creek's eastern bank. The small downtown area is centered around a single stoplight at the intersection of NC Highway 194 and South Big Horse Creek Road.
Lansing experienced substantial growth after the arrival of the Virginia-Carolina Railroad in Ashe County in 1914-1916. The railroad paralleled Big Horse Creek with the depot situated on the west side of NC HWY. 194 across from the commercial blocks. Both depot and railroad were demolished in the late twentieth century.