Senatobia City Hall is located at 133 North Front Street, Senatobia, MS 38668; phone: 662-562-4476.
Land that would become the City of Senatobia was purchased from the Chickasaw Nation in 1834 by James Peters. The name Senatobia has its roots in an Indian word meaning White Sycamore. The area was originally a rest stop on a trail leading to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Charles Meriwether is credited with the name Senatobia — the White Sycamore is a symbol representing "rest for the weary."
The Tennessee and Mississippi Railroad came through in 1856 and Senatobia became a station stop which prompted new and rapid growth. Senatobia was chartered in 1860, 13 years before the creation of Tate County. By 1880 this county seat (recovering from several Civil War "burnings" at the hands of Union troops) had more than 50 business enterprises including a newspaper and several physicians.