banner search whats new site index home

Warrenton City

Warrenton City Hall is located at 107 South West Street, Warrenton, MO 63383; phone: 636-456-3535.

Warren County's first settlement was a French trading post established during 1804. But the original homesteaders were Americans who had clustered at Flanders Calaway's post near Marthasville by 1806. Warrenton was platted specifically to attract the seat of justice, and town lots were not sold until construction of the courthouse began. Furthermore, the establishment of a county seat at Warrenton in opposition to the Missouri River town of New Boston (near the present site of Hopewell, Missouri) demonstrated an economic transition within Warren County from dependence upon commerce with the upper Missouri Valley and the in creasing establishment of a landed agricultural population in the interior. [1]

  1. Stephen J. Raiche, Research Historian, Missouri State Park Board, Warren County Courthouse and Circuit Court Building, nomination document, 1971, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 29455 • Privacy