La Grange City
La Grange City Hall is located at 118 South Main street, La Grange, MO 63448; phone: 573-655-4301.
Located at the confluence of the Wyaconda and Mississippi Rivers, La Grange was platted in 1830 and incorporated in 1838. Godfrey Le Sieur, the first settler, established a trading post at the mouth of the Wyaconda when the region was under Spanish control. Archives reveal that he was a licensed trader "at the Weaucandah, on the upper river" in 1795. The ruins of his 4 cabins were here in 1819 when John Bozarth came from Kentucky and erected a cabin 2 miles south of the town. Many settlers came to La Grange from Kentucky and Tennessee, and the village grew rapidly. Pork packing plants, cooper shops, distilleries, a flour mill, tobacco factories and other industries were developed, furnishing outlets for the products of the back country and the basis of a heavy river trade. Houses designed in the Greek Revival style were built about the village green and on the hills above the river.