banner search whats new site index home

Savage City

Savage City Hall is located at 6000 McColl Drive, Savage, MN 55378; phone: 952-882-2660.

Beginnings [1]

The City of Savage is one of the fastest growing communities in the Twin Cities Metro Area; its population more than doubled during the 1990's, growing to 21,115 in 2000. The community was founded as the Village of Hamilton along the Minnesota River and valley. In 1902, Marion Willis Savage purchased 400 acres of land in the town of Hamilton to stable his horses. In that same year he acquired Dan Patch, the famous horse that set a world record when he paced the mile in 1:55 minutes at the 1906 Minnesota State Fair. In 1904 Hamilton was changed to Savage to honor the man who brought world-wide attention to this small community. Savage remained a relatively small town for the next several decades. It was not until after World War II that residential development began above the river bluffs.

On April 28, 1969, the village of Savage was consolidated with the adjacent Glendale Township to form the existing 17-square-mile City. Most of the growth of the City has occurred since that time and particularly in the past two decades.

  1. Savage City Council, City of Savage Comprehensive Plan, 2009, www.cityofsavage.com, accessed July, 2015.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 15715 • Privacy