St Louis Park City
St. Louis Park City Hall is located at 5005 Minnetonka Boulevard, St. Louis Park, MN 55416; phone: 952-924-2400.
In August, 1886, 31 people signed a petition asking the Hennepin County commissioners to incorporate the Village of St. Louis Park. The City derived its name from the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad. The word "Park" was added to eliminate any confusion with St. Louis, Missouri. The community was linked to the railroad because the community leaders believed the railroad would help transform the village into a center of trade and industry.
A considerable amount of industry did develop, but the predominant development in the city was residential use. The extension of the street car lines made it convenient for St. Louis Park residents to reach the large number of jobs created in a booming Minneapolis in the early 1900s.
The street car may also be indirectly responsible for the lack of a "downtown" ever being fully developed in St. Louis Park. Travel to Minneapolis for shopping opportunities was also convenient by street car.
By 1940, the population of the Park had grown to 7,737 people. By 1955, the population had exploded to more than 40,000 people.
Since 1955, the community has fully matured. Most of the vacant parcels have been developed and the city has begun to redevelop. As the city redevelops, it is important to take stock of past development and preserve the significant buildings in the physical and social development of the city.