South St Paul City
South St. Paul City Hall is located at 125 3rd Avenue North, South St. Paul, MN 55075; phone: 651-554-3200.
The first recorded history of activity in the South St. Paul area tells of small bands of Native Americans from the Sioux tribe under the leadership of Little Crow. By the treaty in 1837, the Sioux gave up all land east of the Mississippi River and soon moved to its west banks. Three areas in the City were used as camps throughout the year by the Sioux, and they developed a village in the area where South Park is located.
After a treaty in 1851 most of the Native Americans moved out of the area, with the exception of a few bands. By 1862, almost all of the Native Americans were gone from the area. At about the same time the Native Americans left the area, early pioneers began moving in to farm the land beginning in the 1880's. Industrial facilities were clustered in the floodplain and residences were built above the bluff. Early industries included the stockyards, meat packing, Waterous engine works (still in business in South St. Paul), a barrel company, brick yard, distillery, and foundry. South St. Paul also briefly boasted the region's first monorail.
One of the first houses constructed was the Kochendorfer house, built in 1880. A number of houses constructed by early founding families are still standing today.
South St. Paul was incorporated in 1887. By 1900, the City had a population of 4,200 people, which swelled to 25,106 in 1970. The current population is estimated at 20,167.
In 1978, the decline of the stockyards and meat packing plants began. With their decline began the long process of demolition and rebuilding. The City's Housing and Redevelopment Authority spent 15 million dollars in site preparation in anticipation of new industries to replace the stockyards. The BridgePoint Business Park has since become home to new jobs for residents of South St. Paul and adjacent cities.