Watertown City Hall is located at 309 Lewis Avenue South, Watertown, MN 55388; phone: 952-955-2681.
In 1856, the Village of Watertown was surveyed and platted into a traditional grid pattern that parallels the Crow River. At that time, the platted property was owned by Caleb Lewis, whom has been suggested as one of Watertown's original founders.
The initial influx of settlers came from the east coast; they arrived in the Carver County area during the 1850s following the Treaty with the Native Sisseton and Wahpeton Bands (1851). As Carver County populated, European immigrants established themselves within communities of similar culture and heritage. The nearby towns of Cologne and Hamburg attracted Germans, while Watertown attracted primarily Swedish immigrants.
Watertown grew as an agricultural center with mills operating along the river. Local retail trade and services were established along the "Main Street" (presently Lewis Avenue), which was typical of other surrounding towns.