Salisbury City Hall is located at 125 North Division Street, Salisbury, MD 21801; phone: 410-548-3100.
Poplar Hill Mansion (traditional name thought to be of nineteenth century origin) was built ca. 1805. It was accepted for the National Register of Historic Places on October 7, 1971. The property was purchased by the State of Maryland in 1974 and subsequently restored by Wicomico County. The City of Salisbury now owns and maintains Poplar Hill Mansion. [Maryland Historical Society Historic Marker]
When the City of Salisbury was incorporated in 1732, the current downtown area was locally known as "Handy's Landing," a dock area. The presence of the Wicomico River and Humphrey's Lake, adjoining the river on the east, was a valuable asset and the docks became an important spot for local trade. According to City records five streets had been laid out by 1817: Dividing Street (dividing Somerset and Worcester Counties), Somerset and Worcester Road (connecting the two counties), Bridge Street, Back Street and Church Street. Although no buildings survive from this early era, these streets remain, now known respectively as Division street, Isabella Street, Main Street, Camden Street and Church Street.
In the mid-19th century, the downtown area attained local an regional prominence. The dock area, whose growth was recognized by the designation of Dock Street in the 1830s, became an important transportation mode, and even as rail transport developed later in the century, the water transport business continued to prosper in Salisbury. Initially farm and marine products were the primary cargoes, but by the 1840s, a number of flour, lumber and lime mills developed in the area expanding the base of goods exported from Salisbury. Retail shops were constructed along Bridge Street (Main Street) between Division and Dock Streets, forming a corridor of densely packed, two-story frame buildings. North of Church Street was Isabella Street which was the core of the residential area.