banner search whats new site index home

Oakland Town

Oakland Town Hall is located at 15 South Third Street, Oakland, MD 21550; phone: 301-334-2691.

The history of Oakland [1] begins with a rural settlement known as Yough Glades that developed where several trails converged. In 1812 a post office was established, in 1849 the town was surveyed, and in 1862 Oakland was incorporated. The name Oakland was applied in 1849 when the area was surveyed for Edward McCarty who had a mill at the site. The new town, named Oakland by McCarty's daughter Ingaba, was situated between present-day Oak and Alder Streets and extended two blocks on either side of South Third Street. It incorporated several existing buildings including the McCarty Hill on the river and the Loar Home, site of the first Methodist Sunday School and built in 1829. For many years Isaac McCarty's house served as the first railroad station and post office.

  1. Ronald L. Andrews and Geoffry Henry, Maryland Historical Trust, Oakland Historic District, Garrett, MD, nomination document, 1983, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 27227