North East Town
North East Town Hall is located at 106 South Main Street, North East, MD 21901; phone: 410-287-5801.
The Town of North East was incorporated in 1891.
North East as described in 1940 >p>North East was once a shipping point with regular boat service to Baltimore. It is now the banking and trading center for a hay and grain district. The older residential and business sections are on Main Street; farm supply stores, a stove brick foundry, and a small basket factory are located near the railroad.
The Bryson House on old U.S. Route 40, 200 yards west of Main Street, was built about 1740 in three sections, the front of frame construction and the two rear parts of sheathed logs.
At the western end of the bridge across Northeast Creek, Green Hill was built about 1780 by Thomas Russell of the Principio Company. The rambling house is on a knoll overlooking the road.
St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church on South Main Street was built in 1700. This brick building has a gambrel roof of the Dutch type, round-arched windows and a bulls-eye window high in the west wall. The square tower topped with cupola was added in 1904. In the churchyard are graves of the Susquehannock Indians.
The North East Yacht club sponsors an annual motorboat regatta.