banner search whats new site index home

Hardwick Town

Hardwick Town Hall is located at 307 Main Street, Gilbertville, MA 01031; phone: 413-477-6197.

Hardwick as described in 1937 [1]

Settled in 1737 and incorporated in 1739, Hardwick is an agricultural community whose inhabitants are of English, Polish, French and Lettish stock. The land comprising the present township was purchased in 1686 from the Nipmuch Indians by eight Roxbury residents. No settlement was made at the time, however because the owners were afraid that the Royal Governor, Sir Edmund Andros, would expropriate the land. At first called Lambstown, the district was incorporated as Hardwick, probably for Philip Your, first Lord Hardwick. One of the largest herds of Guernsey cattle in the world was, until recently, pastured in this town.

  1. Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for Massachusetts, Massachusetts: A Guide to Its Places and People, American Guide Series, The Riverside Press, Cambridge, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1937.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 2764