Dover Town Hall is located at 5 Springdale Avenue, Dover, MA 02030; phone: 508-785-0032.
Dover was first settled around 1635 and for many years was a part of the Town of Dedham. Dover was known then as Springfield because it was a primarily farming community with open fields situated around the abundant springs of Trout Brook. It was incorporated as a town in 1836 and named in honor of the ancestral home in England of Springfield Parish's chairman.
Historically farming was Dover's principal industry, with hard work and pride of place highly valued. Although the Town has evolved into a rural/suburban community, scenery common to farming communities in New England (such as open pasture land, stands of white pine, birch, oak, and maple, old stone walls dividing properties, farm houses and barns) is still very much in evidence today and highly valued by Dover residents. DoverÕs heritage and its country atmosphere represent a strong undercurrent in the residentsÕ vision of the TownÕs future.