Marlborough City Hall is located at 140 Main Street, Marlborough, MA 01752; phone: 508-460-3775.
First settled around 1657, Marlborough was incorporated as a town in 1660 and as a city in 1890. The area had been the site of an Indian plantation called Okamamakamefit. The English knew the area as Whipsufferage. Later it was part of the Town of Sudbury.
Marlborough was one of Reverend John Eliot's 7 Praying Indian towns, where the Indians had been converted to Christianity.
At one time Marlborough ranked 5th in the production of shoes, nationally. By the 1930s it was also manufacturing paper boxes, wire goods, shoe machinery, metal products, oil burners, cosmetics and textile soaps. The city was noted for a large Italian population, who were encouraged to settle here as strike-breakers after a series of labor disturbances in 1899.