Dartmouth Town Hall is located at 400 Slocum Road, Dartmouth, MA 02747; phone: 508-910-1813.
The original Dartmouth town (as granted by the Indians) comprised the towns of Dartmouth, Westport, New Bedford, Fairhaven and Acushnet. The source of the town's name is the subject of speculation. One version suggests that the little vessel, the "Concord," which brought Bartholomew Gosnold to the shores of the Acushnet in 1602, belonged to Dartmouth, in England.
Dartmouth was organized as a town about 1664.
Dartmouth is located in the southern part of Bristol County and is bounded on the north by Fall River and Freetown, on the east by New Bedford and Buzzard's Bay, on the south by Buzzard's Bay, and on the west by Westport.
The largest portion of the early settlers of Dartmouth were Friends, and we find them recognized as a religious body in the town as early as 1683. Their first meeting house was built in 1699. Next to the Friends in numbers and influence stood the Baptists.