Pittsfield City Hall is located at 70 Allen Street, Pittsfield MA 01201; phone: 413-499-9361.
When the town was platted by Captain Huston in 1738, 64 house lots were laid out, each intended to contain 100 acres, and, except where irregularities arose along Onota and Silver Lakes, to be uniformly of 80 rods front and 200 deep.
Two roads intersected each other near the center of the township. One of these (now East and West streets) ran from boundary to boundary. Additional secondary roads were laid out in parallel. Along these, home lots designed for both settlers and for public purposes were ranged into three tiers, running east and west.
The territory set apart for the proposed plantation formed about one-quarter of the whole township, and embraced its fair proportion of good, arable lands.
Boundary disputes and various incursions of war prevented permanent settlement until the late 1740s. Among those first permanent settlers in 1749 were: David Bush, Solomon Deming, Nathaniel Fairfield, Gideon Gunn, Timothy Caldwell, David Ashley, and Samuel Taylor. Also, Daniel Hubbard, Stephen Crofoot, Simeon Crofoot, Jesse Sackett, Josiah Wright, Hezekiah Jones, Abner and Isaac Dewey, Elias Willard.
By the summer of 1752, which is usually accounted as the birth-year of Pittsfield, some of the settlers had log cabins ready to receive their families. And first came Solomon Deming, from Wethersfield, and his wife Sarah behind him. She was a maiden of 17 when Solomon first provided them a dwelling place in the wilderness of the Green Mountains. Now a brave young wife of 26, she entered Poontoosuck (Pittsfield) the first white woman who ever called it home.