Folsom Village Hall is located at 82378 June Street, Folsom, LA 70437; phone: 985-796-5607.
By 1880, the area that is now the Village of Folsom was occupied by several families. As recorded in the 1880 United State Census, adults in Folsom were listed either as farmers or as housewives. At the time St. Tammany continued to be mostly virgin forest land and land used for cultivating crops. The parish was traversed by trading routes, including Holmesville Road, which were dirt roads that were maintained by the St. Tammany Police Jury. Police Juries were the form of local government at the time and semiannual meetings were held in January and July. Often, the Jury would wait 3-4 days before a quorum was present to being the meetings and meetings would last up to 6 days.
Land in the area was available for homesteading under the Recovery and Reclaims Acts of 1855 and 1857, averaging about $1.25 per acre. Between 1868 and 1886, over 3,200 new acres of land were homesteaded, in 1887 another 2,500 acres of land, and between 1888 and 1897, another 4,000 acres of land was homesteaded in the Folsom area. Amidst this growth in new landowners, Native American tribes still lived and traded.
It was in 1904, when George M. Fendlason and his brother Hines Norman filed for a plat of survey, that Folsom became a village. Since it became a village, Folsom has been known for its towering pines and its rolling hills. Folsom earned its name from President Grover Cleveland's wife, Frances Folsom Cleveland, an icon for working women at the time. One of the first lots was sold in Folsom in November 1904.
In 1881, work began on the Northshore's railroad. Completed in 1887, this railroad connected New Orleans to St. Tammany Parish, including Slidell, Lacombe, Mandeville, and Abita Springs. By 1888, Covington was connected and by 1905, the East Louisiana Railroad had laid tracks down and built a depot on what is now Railroad Avenue in Folsom.