Mackville, originally Maxville or Macksville, was established in December 1818 on the lands of John McKittrick and Matthew Flournoy. It was named for early settlers John McKittrick, a Revolutionary War soldier from Virginia, and twins Alexander and Richard McDonald. John McKittrick initially settled on the outskirts of Mackville and owned 2,000 acres of land; he eventually moved to what is now the center of Mackville. The McKittrick Cemetery, a family cemetery, was the first in Mackville and was historically located at the rear of the 100 Mackville-Willisburg Road parcel. Another early family cemetery is the Sweeney Cemetery, located back far from the road near the Yancey Farm.